Saturday, December 29, 2012

New Year's

The last couple years, I've heard sermons and read devotionals knocking New Year's resolutions.  I personally love this time of year.  I think it's time to let New Year's resolutions off the hook and take advantage of what they offer.

All year long, I get consumed in the day-to-day.  I shift into survival mode.  I juggle schedules, remember important events, and do anything I can to keep my family moving in the right direction.

Wrapping up one year and preparing for a new one offers me the opportunity to step away from the daily grind and assess where I've been and where I'm going.

This is the time of year when I look back over the last year.  I acknowledge every hardship and feel thankful to be on the other side of most of the difficulties.  I give myself credit for any area where I've grown personally.  I see more clearly how God has been present and working with me every single day.  I reflect on all the good stuff and offer prayers of gratitude for blessings great and small.

This time of year is also the time when I suddenly realize that change is possible.  The hard stuff doesn't have to keep being hard.  Eventually babies sleep through the night, weight gets worked off, and I figure out more tricks to keep my house organized.  On New Year's Eve, I take a deep breath and allow myself to feel hope and anticipation.

My resolutions have almost always been about three things:
  1. My body (lose weight, tone up, dress better, accessorize more, etc.)
  2. My house (organize clutter, keep house cleaner, incorporate meal schedules, fix house problems, update decorations, etc.)
  3. My performance (be a gentler mom, be a more supportive wife, pray more, read my Bible more, mend relationships, etc.)
Last year, I lost 45 lbs. between January 1 and April 14 (my birthday).  I kept it off all year (okay...except for the 2-3 lbs. I put back on this month).  This year, I would like to take off that last 10 lbs. I never touched and try to generally tone things up.  This will be an interesting (and somewhat scary) process for me since losing weight last year brought up so many digestive problems that are still lingering today.

My house needs repairs, updates, cleaning, organizing, and purging.  I don't even know where to focus this year.

In terms of my performance, I know that God is still working on me and my mental battles.  I'm learning to stop the negative conversations I have with myself about things I say and do and things others say and do.  I think for now I'll keep working on learning to show grace to myself and others.

When I try to reflect on 2012, my recollection is completely overshadowed by the whole process that led to Griffin's Asperger's diagnosis.  I can't really remember other milestones right this minute.  So maybe my starting point should be to take a serious look at the last year and acknowledge other hurdles we cleared and blessings we received.  The fact that all three of my children are alive and healthy is actually enough for me.

I hope this New Year's you'll pause and take a little time to reflect on the past and gear up for a hopeful future.  There's nothing wrong with setting goals and making resolutions (in my book).  I think it takes a little processing time to close one chapter and start writing the next.  Now is a great time for that.

Here's to all the possibilities of a new year!

Jessica  

P.S.  Here are two great free printables if you need help with your New Year's resolutions!


1 comment: